Event Title: Gender Perspectives: A discussion on technology with purpose
Who: Hong Kong Association of Careers Masters and Guidance Masters, The Women’s Foundation, Legislative Council Member, Coventry University
Theme: Future Skills
Genre: Panel discussion/thought leadership event
Location: SPARK Hub, Parade Ground
Age group: 12+
Registration required: No
|20/01/2019||14.00 - 15.30||Walk-ups are welcome on the day|
Leading tech companies acknowledge that gender balance among their employees adds value to their business and helps drive creativity and innovation.
However, a recent study commissioned by The Women’s Foundation found that girls and young women's decisions not to study STEM subjects or pursue STEM-related careers because they do not see the connection between the concepts they learn in the classroom and the contributions these subjects make to society.
This panel discussion will examine the factors that influence the career choices of women and girls and consider what both the education sector and employers can do to make STEM and tech more attractive to women, while demonstrating that a career in technology is worthwhile and highly rewarding.
- Dr Esther Ho, Vice-Chair, Hong Kong Association of Careers Masters and Guidance Masters
- Charles Mok, Legislative Council Member (Functional Constituency - Information Technology)
- Candy Liu, General Manager of HKC Technology and Co-Chairman of the HK Computer Society FACE Club
- Jacqui Speculand, Course Director, School of Media and Performing Arts, Coventry University
- Moderator and Lead: Fiona Nott, CEO, The Women’s Foundation