The competition is open to all Hong Kong permanent resident (possessing a Hong Kong identity card), who are aged between 18-35 (at the time of application), working in or studying technology, engineering, medicine, biology, chemistry, physics or maths. This includes private and public sector employees.
The rules are simple. Participants have three minutes to give a talk on a scientific subject. No PowerPoint slides are allowed, however props are allowed so long they can be carried on stage by the participants.
If you are selected to the final competition, you must attend the Masterclass on 11 - 12 February 2017 and attend the Hong Kong Grand Final on 11 March 2017.
- 18-35 years old Hong Kong permanent resident
- Lecturers and researchers in science, engineering or mathematics subjects, including specialist science teachers with a science degree
- People who work on applying science, engineering technology or mathematics (e.g. patent clerks, statisticians, consultants to industry)
- University students of science, mathematics or engineering
- People who apply science, mathematics or engineering in the armed forces or government bodies
- People who apply science, engineering or mathematics in industry or business.
We cannot accept:
People who are already working professionally in public engagement with science, including:
- Press or PR officers, even for science-related organisations
- Artists who work on science-related themes
- Performers whose shows are about science or engineering
- Science centre staff who work exclusively or mainly with the public
- Journalists and broadcasters (as their main or only job)
- Non-specialist teachers
Please contact us if you are unsure about your eligibility.