British Council Hong Kong is looking for a fantastic writer/author/thinker to take part in this year’s Cooler Lumpur Festival in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Could this be you?
WHAT IS COOLER LUMPUR?
The Cooler Lumpur Festival is Asia’s first and only festival of ideas. Established in 2013, the Festival is a platform that aims to bring together writers, artists, musicians, and thinkers from all across the globe in an attempt to create new connections, to share and spread new ideas, and to serve as a catalyst to our cultural conversation. Powered by writers and thinkers, by artists and musicians, this is a gathering that aims to challenge people to debate and learn and grapple with the ideas and issues that confront society. Why is this relevant? Because building discussion and dialogue is the hallmark of any great society.
WHAT IS THIS YEAR'S THEME?
The theme for this year is pretty simple. One word:#FAST. We’re thinking about the future and the fastest way to get there. To explore the ways we can move culture forward, by championing young upcoming talent, by getting society attuned to its creative side, by mashing together literature, art, music, and innovation, and by doing it at the speed of thought.
The festival will explore what will the future look like? What innovations in thought will shape our societies at home and abroad? What will education and the arts look like? What are the big ideas that will help us get there?
WHEN DOES THE FESTIVAL TAKE PLACE?
The festival takes place over the weekend of Friday 20 – Sunday 22 June 2014.
SOUND GREAT, HOW DO I APPLY?
If you think this is for you then please submit
- Name, contact details and short biography (200 words);
- Short statement on why you think you would be great to be part of the festival;
- Examples or extracts of writing relevant to the festival subject and/or themes.
Send your email to Ms Angi Law at Arts@britishcouncil.org.hk by 12.00noon 10 April 2014. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email us as well.
HOW WILL THE PERSON BE SELECTED?
The festival is seeking out the best thinkers from across Asia. We will share all applications we receive with the festival and the writer that best fits the profile the festival is seeking will be invited. The writer must:-
- Be an author, writer (fiction or non-fiction) or poet currently living and working in Hong Kong;
- Have good command of spoken English (this is so the participant can be actively involved in the forums / panels and festival activities which will be conducted in English, but the writer does not necessarily need to write or produce work in English);
- Have written work that explores the festivals themes of ‘future, imagined civilization and culture’, ‘ASEAN imagination / culture critique’ and/or ‘Utopian/Dystopian theories’;
- Be available to participate in the full festival from 20 – 22 June 2014.
WHAT WILL BE PROVIDED?
The British Council will provide the invited writer with:-
- Up to four (4) nights hotel stay in Kuala Lumpur;
- Standard subsistence rates for each day in Malaysia;
- Transportation to and from the festival ground;
- Letter of invitation for visa application.
WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF ME IF I'M SELECTED?
If you are selected to participate, you will
- Cover international travel cost to Kuala Lumpur;
- .Actively take part in the festival programme, including speaking as part of the panel, do readings of your own materials and other activities;
- Share your experiences on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc) before, during and after the festival;
- Produce a short report (200 – 250 words) after the festival on your experience in Kuala Lumpur.
I’M NOT A WRITER BUT I'M STILL INTERESTED, WHAT ABOUT ME?
If you are a festival partner / producer / festival director and want to attend the festival - we are happy to introduce you to the festival, provide festival information, suggest economical hotels to stay and provide other relevant advice!
I’VE STILL GOT MORE QUESTIONS
You can email Ms Angi Law at firstname.lastname@example.org