At the British Council, we help our students maximise their English learning potential. We use the most effective methodologies for all age groups to develop real communicative ability. We believe that genuine face-to-face interaction between students and with the teacher is the best way to achieve this and help your child learn English.
Our teaching methodology for young learners
Teaching methodology for Playgroup and Kindergarten
Our aim is to develop in your child a love for English and positive attitudes towards language learning. Our courses give them the opportunity to learn the language in an English-speaking environment and help prepare them for entering into kindergarten and primary schools.
- We use fun and interactive communicative activities such as games, songs, chants and stories.
- Children engage in structured and free play activities to practise what they have learnt in class.
- Our lessons are theme-based and we nurture reading and communication through a range of activities including art and craft, show and tell, role-plays and experiments.
- After the presentation of the topic of the day, children get to work in small groups so that the teacher is able to give each child more attention and help. Children also get group time with classmates which encourages development of social skills and use of English in a natural setting.
- Our varied classroom activities support personal, social, emotional and physical development, problem solving, reasoning and numeracy, knowledge and understanding of the world and creative development.
Teaching methodology for Primary
We want to help your child communicate better in English. At the British Council, many different teaching methodologies are used to boost your child’s confidence and build up positive attitudes towards language learning.
- Primary Plus uses fun, interactive activities such as communicative games, songs, chants, drama and role-plays which emphasise spoken fluency and improve students’ pronunciation.
- Students read and write stories, poems, letters, reviews and reports to learn a variety of text types and styles of writing.
- Our Primary Plus lessons use topics which are relevant and motivating to the age and level of the students to present and develop grammar and vocabulary for everyday use.
- Students work on projects to activate and consolidate English learned in class, and develop leadership, critical thinking and digital literacy skills.
- Parents can keep track of their child's learning progress with the learning activities on the Primary Plus online portal.
Teaching methodology for Secondary
Master the language skills that you need to be successful in your school exams on the DSE exam and in global society. Our courses:
- are taught by experienced and internationally qualified teachers in a small-class setting which is focused on interaction between teacher and students
- develop your speaking skills and pronunciation and consolidate your knowledge of grammar through engaging lessons with lots of speaking opportunities, rather than a ‘one-way’ tutorial style
- provide regular exam practice and strategies on tackling the DSE exam by encouraging you to apply the knowledge that you have acquired to answer exam-type questions strategically
- help you learn English by using topics you care about, with a stimulating and motivating curriculum that sparks your creativity and lets you express yourself fully
- help you develop your critical thinking skills and confidence, and benefit your everyday communication in our internationalised world
- use videos, songs, websites and computer games alongside books as learning material to help you understand the formats, genres and styles of English that you will encounter in the modern world.