Find out how English words are constructed and pronounced correctly and learn multiple techniques to practise phonics at home with your child in a fun and memorable way.
This course has been designed to help parents, relatives or caregivers understand what their children are doing in class and provide them with practical information and ways to support their child’s learning. It is also relevant for adults who are interested in phonics for their own personal learning and development.
In Module 1, you will be looking at:
- what phonics is and how phonics helps your child learn reading and spelling
- the four key skills of recognising and producing all the 42 sounds, blending, segmenting and letter formation
- helping your children practise pre-writing to writing skills
- the corresponding International Phonetic Alphabet to extend your own pronunciation skills.
In Module 2, you will be looking at:
- initial and ending consonant blends and blending two-syllable words
- how to help your child identify, read and spell tricky words, and recognise alternative spellings
- some common irregularities in English spelling
- how to select phonics books and get free and useful phonics activities online.
Lessons will be conducted in English. Participants need to take an English level test and achieve at least pre-intermediate level in order to take the course.